B1 and B2 Visa

Citizens of foreign countries seeking temporary entry to the United States must obtain a visa. Those who want to enter the United States temporarily for business must obtain a business visa category B1. Those seeking to visit for pleasure or tourism must apply for a visiting visa category B2. The B1 visa and B2 visa can be combined for both purposes.

San Francisco Immigration Lawyer: B1 and B2 Visas

Examples of purposes for a B1 visa include consulting with business associates, settling an estate, attending a professional or educational convention and negotiating a contract. Purposes for applying for a B2 visa include a vacation, tourism, medical treatment, visits with friends or relatives and participation in social events, such as fraternal organizations. Activities that require a different type of visa include employment, study, paid performances and permanent residence.

In addition to having the required purpose for a B1 visa, other eligibility criteria must be met. This includes a specific limited period of time, necessary funds for the trip and stay and no intention of abandoning your foreign residence. The criteria for a B2 visa is similar. The stay must be for a limited period of time, you must have the financial means for travel to and from the United States and you must have permission to reenter your country.

It’s important to note that attaining B1 and B2 visas is not automatic. Your in-person interview with a U.S. consular official and your word do not ensure eligibility. Documentary proof is required.

San Francisco Area B1 and B2 Visa Attorney: The Raoof Law Firm

Each American Embassy and Consulate has different B1 and B2 visa application requirements and procedures. For information regarding the local rules, be sure to call the Raoof Law Firm. The attorneys at this law firm will be happy to assist you.

Often, those applying for a B1 or B2 visa have questions about support documentation. For clarification, those traveling to the United States on business can present a letter from the U.S. company outlining the trip’s purpose and intended length of stay. Persons traveling to the United States as a tourist can use letters from friends and relatives for support documentation. If you don’t have sufficient funds for travel and stay, interested parties can provide letters of financial support.

Those travelers who attain a B1 or B2 visa should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the country. An immigration inspector at the port of entry must authorize the admission. This inspector does have the authority to deny admission to the United States. In addition, the inspector has the authority to determine the length of stay. Once admitted, the inspector will give the traveler a Form I-94. If you want to stay longer than the time indicated on the Form I-94, you will need to apply for an extension of stay.