H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa classification permits a foreign national to work in the United States for a The H-1B visa allows foreigners to work in the United States for a temporary period. With this visa classification, foreigners can accept employment in a specialty occupation. Individuals may maintain H-1B status for six years. In addition, it may be issued by the USCIS in increments of three years. If a foreign worker is applying for a green card, extensions of the H-1B status may be issued. The amount of H-1B visas is limited to 85,000 people each year. Plus, 20,000 of H-1B visas are restricted to those who have a master’s+ degree from colleges or universities within the United States. H-1B visa also includes those with the ability to work in government-to-government research or co-production projects led by the U.S. Department of Defense.

San Francisco Area H-1B Visa Attorney: H-1B Visa Requirements

The requirements for an H-1B visa are stringent and quite specific.

  • Employers must obtain a labor condition application (LCA) from the U.S. Department of Labor before filing an H-1B petition.
  • To apply for a specialty occupation H-1B visa, applicants are required to have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
  • Employees who have previously held H-1B status are typically exempt from the H-1B cap.
  • H-1B employees with spouses and minor children have limitations. Although they can live in the United States and go to school, they are not allowed to work.
  • Employees with H-1B status can use the portability provisions of the AC21 to use their H-1B status to a different employer.

Folsom Immigration Lawyer: The Raoof Law Firm

Many foreigners come to the United States for employment opportunities. At the same time, there are many businesses seeking to hire foreign citizens. At the Raoof Law Firm, we help both companies and prospective foreign employees navigate through the regulations and complex business regulations to attain an H-1B visa. We also assist clients in filing a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In addition to being able to work in the United States, the H-1B visa gives temporary residents the same privileges that permanent residents have.

Many of our clients are already living in the states with a student visa and want to change their immigration status with an H-1B employment visa. Others are architects, computer analysts, engineers and scientists seeking to enter the country to engage in a specialty occupation. Whatever your situation, we are always happy to answer questions and assist you in the H-1B application process. We guide our clients through the whole process, including getting together extensive documentation. In addition, we work directly with employers to maintain confidentiality.